Monday, November 21, 2005

Little Woman; Big Bus

While traveling to my kids' school, I chatted with the bus driver. She was a little woman, driving a big bus. I had to ask

Me: What's your number #1 driving tip?
Bus Driver: (She stares at me. She's stunned. Then she looks at me with a DUH-expression on her face) Experience!!

She utters that one-word tip with visible pride: Experience!!

With a look of satisfaction, she opens the door at my stop. I exit with two regrets: 1) I didn't get her name and 2)I wished I had longer to chat with her.

But I left the bus feeling hopeful; maybe with enough experience, I can be a great driver. I don't want to drive a bus; I just want to drive my kids to school!

Meanwhile: The National Phobia Society in the UK offers this insight about:

DRIVING PHOBIA

"There are many different aspects to this phobia, which seems to be becoming more prevalent as roads get busier. Some people find it hard to cope with the speed of modern day road travel, others fear traffic jams and avoid situations when driving where they feel 'trapped' and unable to escape. What sufferers have in common is the fear of having a panic attack whilst driving and of losing control of themselves or their vehicle."

That's me totally!

Reading The God of Driving by Amy Fine Collins gives me hope.

FYI I'm not paid for these plugs. I just want to share the wealth with other driving phobes
.

I don't do the book justice. You can read excerpts at a website offered Amy Fine Collins: http://www.godofdriving.com. I tracked that down today.

I can't drive; but I can Google.

No comments: