Sunday, November 20, 2005

Balloons, Taxis and The God of Driving

On Friday, I was stuck at home without the wheels or the driving skills needed to deliver balloons for my daughter’s second-grade class play. A last-minute cancellation by a designated driver (flu struck my dear friend) left me scrambling for a ride, with no time to use my normal frugal choice of public transportation.

Well...with equal doses of style and cash, I delivered the balloons by way of taxi. The ride to the supermarket cost $11 with tip and the ride to the school from the supermarket cost $9 with tip. It was not the most frugal option available, but it was cheaper than operating or renting a car.

Plus, I didn’t waste the opportunity. I interviewed my taxi driver about his road skills. Sitting in the backseat, I wrote down the conversation word-for-word with Alex, the driver from Russia.


Me: "What’s your favorite driving advice?"
Alex, the driver: (Laughs. Then, a looong silence)

Me: "So, like, what’s your favorite driving advice?"
Alex: "My favorite customer goes from your building everyday to the Smith & Wollensky, the restaurant."

Me: "And your advice for drivers?"
Alex: (More Silence!!! He laughs and doesn’t say a word until we pull up to the supermarket.)

My conclusion: Focus (attention to the road) is the No. #1 Driving Tip from Alex, the taxi driver from Russia.


By the way, Attila, the maven instructor drives home that same point in The God of Driving, by Amy Fine Collins. It's a really fabulous book about letting go of fear and getting on the road. (FYI: I'm not paid for my endorsement. I just really, really like this book and this space is dedicated to finding cures for those who share my fear of driving.)

Maybe this week, I'll start studying for the written driving test.



P.S. The delighted faces of the kids when I arrived with the balloons made the trek and trouble seem so valuable. I felt like a superhero as I arrived with my tangle of 30 blue and white balloons. I was SuperMommy (the non-SUV model)!!!


That's enough for now. I have two other blogs to maintain: The Frugal Duchess (www.sharonhr.blogspot.com) and Homeless in Miami (www.homelessmiami.blogspot.com).


Thanks for reading my blog!

4 comments:

KY said...

-#1 tip - be in control of the situation
- fav car i previously owned - Dodge Stealth RT/TT, year 1996
- learn driving from my late dad
- driving can be fun, it's almost like sports.

Frugal Duchess said...

Thanks so much for your reply. Cool.
But how do you take control of the situation in a car?
Complete attention? High alert?

Why is driving like a sport? For me, it seems painful, like visiting the dentist.

But I'm willing to give it a try.
Thanks again, for commenting. I appreciate the advice
Please chime in with any advice.
ciao.

I will look for photos of the 1996 Dodge Stealth.

wanderlust said...

based on the research i do for my job - the number one requirement when driving is focus (yep, your taxi driver was right). one second of distraction can cost you your life, or another's. so really, yakking on the phone or putting on make up while driving is a big no-no.

i think driving can also be a sport coz of the adrenalin rush it can give you esp if you hit the pedal to the metal (which won't be the safest thing you can do in the highway w/ kids in the car). :)

Frugal Duchess said...

Wow. I appreciate your insights and thanks for validating my take on the Q&A with the taxi driver.

At first, I thought he did not understand me or was being rude.

But he was just paying attention to driving and not to my chatter.

As a passenger, I really get so nervous when I see the drivers of other cars chatting on cell phones, etc. Very scary. They seem clueless and I don't want to drive if I have to share the road with them.

I appreciate your tips and maybe I'll understand the thrill/sport of driving.

Once or twice, I've had zen-like moments skiing fast down a hill. Maybe driving a car is like getting into a zone.

Thanks.